Last week Brittany Maynard’s mother, Debbie Ziegler, appeared on Dr. Oz show (video preview | summary), and husband, Dan Diaz, posted an op-ed in Time magazine. Utah saw a bill introduced. New Hampshire debated a bill establishing a committee to explore end-of-life options. Polls in Maryland and New Jersey showed strong support for bills proposed in those states. The Applied Sentience blog called Death with Dignity a top three political battle this year, as continued debates in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and other states demonstrate. And, the artist and Death with Dignity advocate Leonard Nimoy passed away.
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from February 22 to February 28, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
- “Counterpoint: Right to die laws give control to terminally ill,” Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman, 2/23/2015
- “‘Death with Dignity’ bill sparks tough conversation,” KTUU2, 2/26/2015
- “Know Your Neighbors: Will California Finally Allow Death With Dignity?,” Coachella Valley Independent, 2/25/2015
- “Opinion: The paradox of a government that cavalierly kills people but prevents assisted suicide,” Los Angeles Times, 2/26/2015
- “After UC Irvine grad chooses to die, ‘Death with dignity’ gains traction, but some fear dire consequences,” Orange County Register, 2/27/2015
- “It’s good to have choices,” Napa Valley Register, 2/27/2015
- “Debate stirs in state over proposed right-to-die bill,” WFSB 3 News, 2/23/2015
- “Supporters, Opponents Galvanize Around Bill Allowing Terminally Ill to End Their Lives,” WNPT, 2/24/2015
- “Aid In Dying Offers Control At The End,” Hartford Courant, 2/27/2015
- Delmarva Now, 2/22/2015: “Starting the debate on end of life”; “Let free will prevail for terminally ill patients”; “Death with dignity should be a choice”; “Do you support a “death with dignity” law in Maryland?”
- “Goucher Poll Releases Results on Politician Approval Ratings, Local Presidential Hopefuls, Transportation, Vaccines, and the Environment,” Goucher College, 2/26/2015
- “Strong Support for ‘Aid in Dying’ Bill, Assisted Suicide ‘Morally Acceptable,’ Rutgers-Eagleton Poll Finds,” Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers University’s Center for Public Interest Polling, 2/25/2015
- “New Jersey fighting to die, Christie mum,” Asbury Park Press, 2/27/2015
- “8 things to know about New Jersey’s death with dignity law,” Asbury Park Press, 2/27/2015
- “Most N.J. residents support ‘aid in dying’ bill to help terminally ill patients end their lives, poll shows,” NJ.com, 2/27/2015
- “‘Right to die’ bill being unveiled in the Utah State Legislature,” FOX13, 2/23/2015
- “Right to die debate expected to hit Utah’s Capitol Hill,” Good4Utah.com, 2/24/2015
- “Utah lawmaker proposes aid-in-dying bill,” The Salt Lake Tribune, 2/24/2015
- “Utah guv concerned about aid-in-dying bill becoming ‘Kevorkian scheme’,” The Salt Lake Tribune, 2/25/2015
- Maine: “Maine Voices: Discussion should begin on right to make one’s own end-of-life decision,” Press Herald, 2/23/2015
- Massachusetts: “Assisted suicide back on legislative table,” Gloucester Times, 2/27/2015
- Montana: “End-of-life freedom under attack again,” Missoulian, 2/24/2015
Image by m01229.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.