Last week a bill was introduced in the New York House, a bill criminalizing physician-assisted dying failed in Montana, and debate about Death with Dignity ramped up in Maryland and Massachusetts. The Daily Beast asked whether assisted dying is “the new abortion,” and after she declared support for the issue Diane Rehm featured Death with Dignity on her program.
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from February 15 to February 21, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
The lively debate around the End of Life Option Act continued in the media, including on KPFA radio where our Vice President George Eighmey debated the proponents’ side.
- “Editorial A new reason to support California’s ‘death with dignity’ bill,” Los Angeles Times, 2/16/2015
- “The California Medical Association should stand down when it comes to end of life options,” Monterey County Weekly, 2/19/2015
- “Calling for death with dignity,” Chico News & Review, 2/19/2015
- “Physician-assisted suicide debate,” KPFA, 2/20/2015
Maryland’s Death with Dignity law acquires an influential spokesperson and a human face.
- “Dying former official a focus of Maryland assisted suicide bill,” Baltimore Sun, 2/14/2015
After Rep. Kafka again introduced a Death with Dignity bill, the issue is back on the table in the state where a related ballot initiative was narrowly defeated in 2012.
- “Renewed interest in “death with dignity” law for Massachusetts,” WWLP 22 News, 2/17/2015
- “State Rep. continues to push the “Death with Dignity” bill,” WWLP 22 News, 2/18/2015
- “Our Opinion: Legislature should pass death with dignity bill,” The Enterprise, 2/20/2015
The bill criminalizing physician-assisted dying failed in the Montana House.
- “Physician-assisted death bill fails in Montana House,” KPAX8, 2/17/2015
- “House Defeats Bill Criminalizing Physician-Assisted Suicide,” Montana Public Radio, 2/17/2015
- “Right-To-Die Bill Allowing Doctor Prosecution Fails In House,” CBS Seattle, 2/17/2015
- “Death With Dignity Legislation Inspired by Brittany Maynard Introduced in Albany,” New York Observer, 2/17/2015
- “Sen. Diane Savino sponsors bill to allow end-of-life law for terminally ill patients,” SI Live, 2/17/2015
- “Brittany Maynard’s Story Moves New York Lawmakers To Introduce Death With Dignity Bill,” Huffington Post, 2/17/2015
- “New York lawmakers introduce ‘Death with Dignity’ bill,” MSNBC, 2/18/2015
- “Physician-assisted suicide: Could it become legal in NY?” Syracuse.com/The Post Standard, 2/21/2015
The sunsetting provisions of the Death with Dignity law are up for debate in the state legislature.
- “Johnson Woman Believed to Be First Vermonter to Use End-of-Life Law,” Seven Days, 2/10/2015
- “Lawmakers weigh safeguards set to sunset in assisted suicide law,” VTDigger, 2/18/2015
- “Foes see opening on aid-in-dying law,” Rutland Herald, 2/19/2015
- Connecticut: “Opponents of Aid-In-Dying Bill Launch Multi-Media Ad Campaign,” Hartford Courant, 2/20/2015
- Indiana: “Death with dignity Indiana,” Daily Student, 2/15/2015
- New Hampshire: “Editorial: Assisted-dying debate is not to be avoided,” Concord Monitor, 2/19/2015
- Ohio: “Terminally ill deserve ultimate decision,” The Columbus Dispatch, 2/20/2015
- Tennessee: “‘Death with dignity’ to be John Jay Hooker’s final fight,” The Tennessean, 2/15/2015
- Utah: “Utah lawmaker to unveil right-to-die legislation,” KSL (via Associated Press), 2/20/2015
Image by Zarko Drincic.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.