In the week from October 26 to November 1, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts held a hearing in the Joint Committee for Public Health for the proposed Compassionate Care for the Terminally Ill Act.
A California appeals court affirmed a lower court’s decision to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to allow physicians to prescribe life-ending medication to terminally ill patients.
- “We view the passage of this legislation as an important opportunity to promote discussion among families about their end-of-life options and preferences and to educate them about the true benefits of hospice care.” “Guest commentary: Aid in dying legislation will promote awareness of hospice care,” Contra Costa Times, 10/30/2015
- “California appeals court rejects right-to-die lawsuit,” SF Gate, 10/30/2015
- “Appeals court rules doctors can’t yet aid deaths,” SF Gate, 10/29/2015
- “Arguments laid out on eve of assisted dying hearing,” WWLP, 10/26/2015
- “Brittany Maynard’s Widower Has A Promise To Keep,” WGBH / Boston Public Radio, 10/26/2015
- “Lawmakers weigh bill to allow doctor-assisted suicide,” Boston Herald, 10/27/2015
- “Gov. Charlie Baker won’t support rep’s right-to-die legislation,” Boston Herald, 10/27/2015
- “Familiar Faces at Aid-in-Dying Hearing in Massachusetts,” Hartford Courant, 10/27/2015
- “Both Sides of Right-to-Die Battle Sound Off at State House,” NECN, 10/27/2015
- “SHEA-TAYLOR: We all deserve death with dignity,” The Sun Chronicle, 11/1/2015
Elsewhere and Other Stories
- Maine: “Woman to share the story of her dying father,” Times Record, 10/28/2015
- Maryland: “Brittany Maynard and death with dignity,” Baltimore Sun, 11/1/2015
- New York: “Choosing to die with dignity (David M. Rubin),” Syracuse.com, 10/30/2015
- “Our current failure to settle on a neat phrase may be an indicator of the profound lack of consensus in our larger society about the moral and emotional issues we face at the hour of our deaths.” “Aid in dying or assisted suicide? What to do when every phrase is fraught,” USC Annenberg Reporting on Health, 10/26/2015
- “Different Kinds of Death: A Primer On Problems At the End Of Life,” WBOI NPR Indiana, 10/27/2015
- “Any other time of year, no one wants to contemplate death or the end of life, or what it will mean for ourselves and the people we love. [T]here is the fact that we simply do not discuss dying or the end of life.” “Halloween may be a good time to talk about death,” Baltimore Sun, 10/29/2015
- “The Death with Dignity National Center is another organization working to bring about change, and Milrad used the organization’s resources as a springboard to developing his petition framework. ‘I decided to pursue a nationwide strategy, even in states where bills had yet to be proposed,’ he explained. Milrad wanted ‘to ensure that activists with more challenging campaigns had the opportunity to speak out on this important issue.’” “Care2 Works Toward National Death with Dignity Rights,” Care2, 11/2/2015
- “‘The passage in California has had a huge impact on the progress that we’re going to be making with other states,’ George Eighmey, president of the nonprofit Death with Dignity National Center, tells Yahoo Health.” “Dan Diaz Shares His Promise to Brittany Maynard a Year After Her Death,” Yahoo! Health, 10/30/2015
Image by Binuri Ranasinge.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.