In the week from October 12 to October 18, the passage of the California End of Life Option Act reverberated across the country. And the Death with Dignity movement suffered a great loss: our dear friend Dick Walters, who led the effort in Vermont to pass the Death with Dignity law in 2013, died on October 16 using medications prescribed under the law.
- “Education Push to Help Doctors Field Patients’ Assisted-Death Requests,” KQED, 10/12/2015
- “Is doctor-assisted death suicide? Advocates say no,” San Diego Union Tribune, 10/13/2015
- “California’s sweeping new social policies could set trend,” Christian Science Monitor via Associated Press, 10/13/2015
- “Timm Herdt: The power of a story bravely told,” Ventura County Star, 10/13/2015
- “Pro-Choice to the End ,” The Bohemian, 10/14/2015
- “California’s Legislature Is Making Progressive Milestones,” WKBW, 10/13/2015
- “NY supporters hope for Calif. ‘aid-in-dying’ boost,” WGRZ, 10/12/2015
- “Point-Counter Point: ‘Aid-in-dying’ bill in New York?,” Lohud, 10/15/2015
- “Leader behind Vermont aid-in-dying law uses it, ends life,” Associated Press, 10/16/2015
- “Richard ‘Dick’ Walters, Leader Behind Vermont’s Right to Die Movement, Ends Life,” People, 10/16/2015
Elsewhere and Other Stories
- Arizona: “Survey shows Arizona doctors would support physician-assisted suicide,” Phoenix Business Journal, 10/12/2015
- Colorado: “The time for Colorado to pass right-to-die legislation is now,” Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, 10/14/2015
- Connecticut: “Aid-in-dying idea remains on radar,” West Hartford News via CT Junkie, 10/14/2015
- District of Columbia: “‘Death with dignity’ backers see momentum for D.C. bill,” The Northwest Current, 10/7/2015
- Florida: “Florida should pursue ‘death with dignity’,” Florida Sun Sentinel, 10/12/2015
- Maryland: “It’s time to start talking about assisted death in MD,” WMDT/ABC, 10/13/2015
- Minnesota: “The state needs right-to-die laws,” Minnesota Daily, 10/12/2015
- “Referring to this infant civil right as suicide is defensible but, at the end of the night, needlessly brutal. Let’s kill it.” “Is doctor-assisted death suicide? Advocates say no,” San Diego Union Tribune, 10/12/2015
- “The hypocrisy of wanting the state to stay out of people’s lives, and yet opposing the right of others to make their own choices.” “Whose Bodies Should Government Control?,” The Atlantic, 10/15/2015
Image by Matt Hintsa.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.