Last week (August 17 to August 23, 2015) a group of California Assembly Members introduced a modified End of Life Option Act bill in their chamber of the state legislature, for an extraordinary legislative session on healthcare issues. The Death with Dignity bill is back in the California legislature, and if it passes in the special session, it may become law by year’s end.
Assembly Members Susan Talamantes Eggman, Mark Stone, and Luis Alejo co-sponsored and introduced a new bill, amended from SB 128 which the California Senate passed on June 4.
- “California lawmakers bring back aid-in-dying bill for special session,” Los Angeles Times, 8/18/2015
- “California lawmakers make political plea for new assisted death bill,” Sacramento Bee, 8/18/2015
- “Physician-Assisted Suicide Bill Revived in Special Session,” KQED, 8/18/2015
- “California lawmakers revive assisted suicide bill,” KPCC, 8/18/2015
- “Eggman introduces aid-in-dying bill,” Stockton Record, 8/18/2015
- “Bill to legalize aid in dying in California revived by supporters,” SF Gate / San Francisco Chronicle, 8/18/2015
- “Top California lawmakers vow to push aid-in-dying bill,” Reuters, 8/18/2015
- “Gov. Brown Says Not So Fast on New Physician-Assisted Suicide Push,” KQED, 8/19/2015
- “Wolk reintroduces right-to-die legislation,” Vallejo Times Herald, 8/19/2015
- “California Right-to-Die Advocate Dies, But Not the Way She Wanted,” VICE News, 8/20/2015
- “Editorial ‘Right to die’ legislation: Right bill, wrong time,” Los Angeles Times, 8/21/2015
- “Capitol Journal: Legislature’s action on ‘right to die’ bill is fair and square,” Los Angeles Times, 8/23/2015
- “Right-to-Die Advocates Target Das Williams,” Santa Barbara Independent, 8/23/2015
Elsewhere & Other Stories
- New Mexico: “Plaintiffs seek review of aid in dying decision,” Albuquerque Journal, 8/20/2015
- Tennessee: “I am fighting for ‘death with dignity but that doesn’t mean I am not fighting with everything I have to stay alive. I have something to live for—getting death with dignity passed.” ~John Jay Hooker “John Jay Hooker still fighting, for life and death,” The Tennesseean, 8/18/2015
- “The Liberty to End One’s Life,” Slate, 8/19/2015
- Yes, we should. “Post Mortem: Should We Stop Using the Phrase ‘Assisted Suicide’?” OMG WTF News, 8/22/2015
Image by DaveBleasdale.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.