Last week (June 8 to June 14, 2015), a hearing was held in the Tennessee Senate Health and Welfare Committee on a proposed bill as part of the summer study process.
The positive media fallout from the Senate vote on SB 128 continues.
- “Yes to death with dignity,” San Diego City Beat, 6/10/2015
- “Death Without Dignity,” The New York Times Opinionator, 6/10/2015
- “Monning’s aid-in-dying bill makes progress,” San Luis Obispo New Times, 6/10/2015
This week the Maine legislature votes on a proposed Death with Dignity bill.
- “Maine to step into debate over ‘death-with-dignity’ laws,” Washington Times & Portland Press Herald via Associated Press, 6/14/2015
- “State Senator agrees to sponsor end-of-life legislation,” WCSH Portland-NBC, 6/14/2015
Though there are now four bills in the New York legislature, two apiece in the Assembly and the Senate, meaningful progress appears doubtful.
- “Editorial: End-of-life needs calm consideration,” Times Herald Record, 6/10/2015
- “OPINION: In support of end-of-life options,” Brooklyn Eagle, 6/12/2015
A vigorous debate of Death with Dignity unfolded in the state in parallel with the hearing on the state’s proposed bill.
- “Tennessee joins national debate on assisted suicide,” The Tennesseean, 6/8/2015
- “Physician-assisted death law in TN is anything but certain,” The Tennesseean, 6/9/2015
- “John Jay Hooker pleads for physician-assisted suicide,” KSL via Associated Press, 6/9/2015
- “Attorney John Jay Hooker pushes for ‘death with dignity’ legislation,” WMCTV-NBC, 6/9/2015
- “John Jay Hooker pleads for physician-assisted suicide,” Sun Herald via Associated Press, 6/9/2015
- “Tennessee lawmakers discuss assisted suicide laws,” WCYB-NBC, 6/10/2015
- “A good life deserves a good death,” The Tennesseean, 6/10/2015
- “Death with dignity issue goes before Tenn. Senate committee,” WKRN-ABC, 6/10/2015
- “Tennessee lawmakers hear testimony on “Death with Dignity” bill,” WJHL-CBS, 6/11/2015
- “From the news director: Terminally ill struggle to write own endings,” Daily News Journal, 6/13/2015
Elsewhere and Other Stories
- “I want a human out, a good death, and the knowledge that, to the end, my life is my own.” “Get Out While We Can: Aid in Dying and Diane Rehm,” Disruptive Women in Health Care, 6/3/2015
Image by Jason de Villa.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.