Last week (June 1 to June 7, 2015) saw the most important event in our movement this year: the California Senate approved SB 128 – End of Life Option Act, a Death with Dignity bill.
Having been approved by the California Senate 23 to 14, the End of Life Option Act now heads to the Assembly with the first hearing, in the Health Committee, scheduled for June 22.
- “Aid-in-dying legislation will take too long for me,” San Francisco Chronicle, 6/1/2015
- “For ‘Death with Dignity Act’ in California,” The San Diego Union-Tribune, 6/2/2015
- “Mercury News editorial: Avoiding a dying with dignity ballot fight,” San Jose Mercury New, 6/1/2015
- “California state Senate approves aid-in-dying bill,” SF Gate, 6/4/2015
- “Assisted-death bill approved by California Senate,” Los Angeles Times, 6/4/2015
- “California Senate approves assisted death law,” Sacramento Bee, 6/4/2015
- “State senate approves ‘Right to Die’ bill,” KTVU-FOX, 6/4/2015
- “‘Assisted suicide’ or ‘aid in dying?’ The semantic battle over SB 128,” KPCC, 6/4/2015
- “Calif. Senate approves physician-assisted suicide bill,” KPCC, 6/4/2015
- “Right to die bill passes California Senate,” The Desert Sun, 6/4/2015
- “California Senate approves assisted death law,” Merced Sun-Star, 6/4/2015
- “Right-to-die bill clears California Senate 23-14,” San Jose Mercury News, 6/4/2015
- “Maynard lobbied Gov. Brown on aid-in-dying bill just before her death,” Los Angeles Times, 6/5/2015
- “‘Death with dignity’ bill moves forward,” Ukiah Daily Journal, 6/6/2015
- “I’d prefer to decide how I die,” Woodland Daily Democrat, 6/6/2015
- “Physician-Assisted Death Legislation Moves Forward In California,” NPR, 6/7/2015
A proposed bill was heard and promptly tabled.
- “Physician-assisted suicide bill gets a hearing,” Delaware Online, 6/1/2015
- “Physician-assisted suicide tabled in Health committee,” Delaware Online, 6/3/2015
A new bill has been introduced in the New York Senate, by a Republican lawmaker, bringing the total to four (two in the Assembly, two in the Senate).
- “Report: GOP NY senator introduces physician-assisted suicide bill,” Syracuse.com, 6/5/2015
- “State Senator agrees to sponsor end-of-life legislation,” Capital New York, 6/4/2015
Though referring a bill for summer study is a roundabout way of killing a bill quietly, in Tennessee a Senate committee will discuss a proposed Death with Dignity bill.
- “Senate committee to discuss assisted suicide bill June 9,” The Tennesseean, 6/2/2015
- “Should Tennesseans Have The Right To Die? Lawmakers Prepare For Debate,” Nashville Public Radio, 6/2/2015
Elsewhere and Other Stories
- Maine: “Our View: Dying Mainers deserve right to make final choice in life,” Portland Press Herald, 6/3/2015
- New Jersey: “One woman’s struggle to legally end her life after being diagnosed with terminal illness,” FIOS1, 6/3/2015
Image by Svein Halvor Halvorsen.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.