Last week, a Death with Dignity bill, SB 128 – End of Life Option Act, passed in the California Senate Judiciary Committee. A proposed bill was heard in a Rhode Island House Committee. North Carolina saw a bill introduced for the first time.
Bills in Connecticut, Nevada, and Tennessee legislatures died in committee: after Committee hearings the Connecticut bill failed to come up for a vote for the third time in as many years; the Nevada bill will not receive a hearing; and the Tennessee bill was tabled for interim study.
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from April 5 to April 11, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
The End of Life Option Act cleared another hurdle in the Senate when it passed in the Judiciary Committee by a partisan vote of 5 to 2. The bill is next headed to the Appropriations Committee in May.
- “Assisted death bill passes Senate Judiciary Committee,” Sacramento Bee, 4/7/2015
- “Lawmakers Again Give Nod to Aid in Dying Bill,” KCET, 4/7/2015
- “Propelled by Brittany Maynard’s story, California considers its own ‘death with dignity’ bill,” Orange County Register, 4/8/2015
For the third time in as many years, a Death with Dignity bill did not come out for a Committee vote in the State Legislature.
- “Aid-in-dying bill is killed in committee,” CT Post, 4/8/2015
- “Aid-In-Dying Bill Unlikely To Win Approval This Year,” Hartford Courant, 4/8/2015
- “Proponents Say Aid-In-Dying Bill Is Dead,” CT News Junkie (reprinted in New Haven Register), 4/8/2015
- “Aid-in-dying bill hasn’t gained sufficient support,” CT Post, 4/9/2015
Advocates for Death with Dignity are gearing up to a push for the proposed legislation.
- “In US, Growing Push for ‘Aid in Dying’ for Terminally Ill,” Voice of America, 4/8/2015
- “Making personal and public choices on dying,” Altamont Enterprise, 4/9/2015
- “Health Link: Dying with Dignity,” WMHT, 4/9/2015
- “Advocates promote physician-assisted death in N.Y.,” Times Union, 4/10/2015
- “Advocates plan push for assisted-suicide bills,” Capital New York, 4/10/2015
- “Administering Death, Terminating Suffering,” Anesthesiology News, April 2015
- “Dying Well Means Dying At Home,” Huffington Post, 4/11/15
- “Choosing Death: Two Religious Perspectives,” Interfaith Voices, 4/9/2015
- Minnesota: “Officials consider “aid-in-dying” policy for Minnesota,” Minnesota Daily, 4/6/2015
- Nevada: “‘Death with dignity’ bill dies in Nevada Legislature,” Las Vegas Review Journal, 4/9/2015
- North Carolina: “Death with dignity – area legislator’s bill would start conversation,” HPE News, 4/10/15
- New Hampshire: “End of life legislation gives glimmer of hope for death with dignity,” Concord Monitor, 4/11/2015
- Rhode Island: “Bill in R.I. General Assembly would let terminally ill control own death,” Providence Journal, 4/9/2015
- Tennessee: “Advocates hope study revives death, marijuana bills,” Tennessean, 4/8/2015
Image by InSapphoWeTrust.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.