Last week, Maryland legislators decided to not vote on proposed Death with Dignity bills, effectively delaying them until the 2016 session. California enjoyed the success of the proposed End of Life Option Act in the Senate Health Committee and geared up to this week’s Judiciary Committee hearing. Montana rejected a proposed ban on physician-assisted dying. And ten years passed since the Terri Schiavo case brought assisted dying into the national spotlight (read more in TIME Magazine).
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from March 29 to April 4, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
The Death with Dignity debate continued apace in California following the bill’s passage in a Senate Committee.
- “The Quiet History of Death With Dignity in Los Angeles,” Los Angeles Magazine, 3/30/2015
- “Terminally ill mom pushes for ‘death with dignity’ laws,” AOL Video, 3/30/2015
- “Hoping To Live, These Doctors Want A Choice In How They Die,” Kaiser Health News, 3/30/2015 (also appeared on NPR and in the San Francisco Chronicle)
- “Live and let die: A case for death with dignity,” Stanford Daily, 3/30/2015
- “California Faith Groups Divided Over Right-To-Die Bill,” NPR, 4/3/2015
The Richard E. Israel and Roger “Pip” Moyer Death With Dignity Act was delayed until next year.
- “‘Death with dignity’ bill extinguished without a vote,” Baltimore Sun, 4/1/2015
- “Death with dignity advocates say they’ll return next year,” Capital Gazette, 4/2/2015
- “No vote on ‘Death with Dignity’ bill this session; supporters still optimistic,” WMAR-ABC Baltimore, 4/2/2015
- “Maryland Lawmakers Postpone Right-To-Die Bill For More Study,” CBS Baltimore, 4/2/2015
The ban on physician-assisted dying failed in the Montana Senate.
- “Senate panel rejects bill criminalizing doctors who aid terminal patient suicide,” Bozeman Daily Chronicle, 3/31/2015
- “Senate panel rejects making physician assisted suicide a crime Billings Gazette, 4/1/2015
- Connecticut: “Catholic Church pushing hard against ‘Aid in Dying’ bill,” WTNH 8, 3/30/2015
- Delaware: “Proposed bill allowing assisted suicide faces opposition,” The Herald (via Associated Press), 4/3/2015
- Nevada: “California End of Life Option bill similar to proposed Nevada ‘right to die’ legislation,” Carson Now, 4/2/2015
- Tennessee: “It is time for death with dignity,” Tennessean, 3/30/2015
- “Ricky Gervais slams those who oppose death with dignity rights: “It disgusts me,” Salon, 3/29/2015
- “How Terri Schiavo Shaped the Right-to-Die Movement,” TIME, 3/31/2015
Image by InSapphoWeTrust.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.