Last week was marked by a long and emotional hearing in Connecticut on HB 7015 – An Act Providing a Medical Option of Compassionate Aid in Dying for Terminally Ill Adults. A Death with Dignity bill was introduced in Minnesota as SF 1880 – Minnesota Compassionate Care Act; Senate Bill 128 – California End of Life Option Act got US Senator Dianne Feinstein’s endorsement; and a bill criminalizing physician-assisted dying passed in the Montana House, portending the possibility of a ban.
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from March 15 to March 21, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
As California geared up to this week’s Senate Committee hearing on the End of Life Option Act, the bill gained an influential supporter.
- “Living with dying: San Mateo woman leads effort to change end-of-life legislation,” San Mateo Daily Journal, 3/16/2015
- “Why “Right-to-Die” Is 2015′s Most Consequential Bill,” Calbuzz, 3/20/2015
- “California Assisted Suicide Bill Gets U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Endorsement,” Huffington Post, 3/18/2015
- “Not until death did they part,” Sacramento Bee, 3/21/2015
Connecticut’s House hearing of the HB 7015 – An Act Providing a Medical Option of Compassionate Aid in Dying for Terminally Ill Adults saw hundreds of people provide emotional testimonies.
- ““Aid in Dying” or “Assisted Suicide?”; lawmakers look over bill,” WTNH-TV News 8, 3/16/2015
- “Both Sides Get Ready To Debate End of Life Issues,” CT News Junkie, 3/16/2015
- “On polarizing end-of-life issue, what changes minds?,” CT Mirror, 3/16/2015
- “Aid-in-Dying Bill Again Before Connecticut Legislators,” WNPR, 3/17/2015
- “Malloy Still Struggling With the Concept of “Aid-In-Dying”,” Hartford Courant, 3/17/2015
- “Hundreds turn out as Connecticut debates aid in dying measure,” New Haven Register, 3/18/2015
- “Poignant Testimony As Aid-In-Dying Bill Is Debated,” Hartford Courant, 3/18/2015
- “People tell stories at hearing for ‘aid in dying’ bill,” Fox CT, 3/18/2015
- “Legislators Speak Personally About Aid In Dying Measure,” CBS Connecticut, 3/19/2015
- “Locals weigh in on “Aid in Dying” bill,” Southington Citizen, 3/19/2015
- “Catholic Church Poised For Pivotal Role In Aid-In-Dying Bill,” Hartford Courant, 3/22/2015
- “Meriden, Southington, Cheshire residents testify on “Aid in Dying” bill,” Record-Journal, 3/22/2015
Nevada Senators Parks and Kieckhefer introduced Patient Self-Determination Act.
- “Nevada lawmakers introduce ‘right to die’ legislation,” Reno Gazette Journal, 3/17/2015
- “Nevada lawmakers introduce assisted suicide legislation,” Carson Now, 3/17/2015
- Minnesota: “Minnesota Legislature: Assisted-suicide bill proposed,” Pioneer Press, 3/23/2015
- Montana: “House passes bill to outlaw physician-assisted suicide in Montana,” The Missoulian, 3/16/2015
- Tennessee: “Is it time for ‘death with dignity’ in Tennessee?” Johnson City Press, 3/18/2015
Image by weirdisnothing.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.