Maryland was in the spotlight of the Death with Dignity movement last week, with the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing drawing dozens of testimonies, including from our Executive Director, Peg Sandeen; our friend Dr. Peter Rasmussen, MD, coined an op-ed in the Baltimore Sun in support of the bill and Marylanders’ right to Death with Dignity as an end-of-life option.
These are the highlights of the most important developments in the movement around the United States from March 8 to March 14, 2015, with the corresponding media coverage.
California was getting ready for the March 25 Senate hearing of the End of Life Option Act.
- “California right-to-die bill set for hearing this month,” Press Democrat, 3/10/2015
- “Robert Olvera: Aid in dying is not ‘assisted suicide’,” Battle Creek Enquirer, 3/11/2015
- “The Last Promise Dan Diaz Made to His Wife, Brittany Maynard,” Oprah, 3/15/2015
Connecticut geared up to its Assembly hearing this week on the proposed physician-assisted dying bill.
- “Judiciary Committee Will Hold Hearing on Aid-In-Dying Bill Next Week,” Hartford Courant, 3/10/2015
- “Q Poll Finds Broad Support for Aid-In-Dying Legislation,” Hartford Courant, 3/11/2015 [ Quinnipiac University Release ]
- “Hearing planned on latest Connecticut doctor assisted suicide bill,” Fox CT, 3/15/2015
Maryland was abuzz with the House and Senate hearings on the Richard E. Israel and Roger “Pip” Moyer Death With Dignity Act.
- “Death with Dignity,” WYPR, 3/9/2015
- “Baltimore Ravens’ O.J. Brigance joins emotional death with dignity debate,” Baltimore Sun, 3/10/2015
- “Civil, disability rights groups clash over ‘death with dignity’ bill The Daily Record, 3/10/2015
- “Supporters And Opponents Of Maryland ‘Death With Dignity’ Bill Share Emotional Testimony,” WAMU 88.5, 3/10/2015
- “General Assembly Considers ‘Death With Dignity’,” WYPR, 3/10/2015
- “Hogan says he is taking a ‘serious look’ at ‘Death With Dignity’ bill,” Washington Post, 3/10/2015
- “‘Right to Die’ Md. bill moves forward in Senate,” Delmarva Now, 3/11/2015
- “Death-with-dignity legislation is moral, compassionate option,” The Frederick News-Post, 3/12/2015
- “Sponsor Of Physician Assisted Suicide Bill Believes Lawmakers Won’t Vote On Issue,” WBAL1090, 3/15/1025
Montana saw a rollercoaster in the House when a proposed bill outlawing physician-assisted dying first passed and eventually failed on a split vote.
- “House narrowly endorses bill outlawing physician-assisted suicide in Montana,” Montana Standard, 3/13/2015
- “Right-to-die bill allowing doctor prosecution defeated,” Great Falls Tribune, 3/13/2015
- “House deadlocks on bill to outlaw doctor-assisted suicide,” The Montana Standard, 3/13/1025
Though the Utah Death with Dignity Act was tabled until next year, a discussion about the issue started in the state. A poll showed the majority of Utahns are in favor of such legislation.
- “Death With Dignity Bill Put On Hold,” Utah Public Radio, 3/10/1025
- “More Than 6 in 10 Utahns Favor ‘Right-to-Die’ Legislation,” UtahPolicy.com, 3/6/2015
In Vermont, a bill passed in the Senate that removed the sunset provision from the state’s Death with Dignity bill, keeping safeguards intact.
- “Aid-in-dying law comes up for review,” Rutland Herald, 3/8/2015
- “Senate Rejects Effort to Repeal Physician-Assisted Suicide Law,” VTDigger.org, 3/11/2015
- “Senate Extends Law Allowing Terminally Ill To Request Life-Ending Drugs,” Vermont Public Radio, 3/11/2015
- “VT Senate supports current ‘right-to-die’ law,” Burlington Free Press, 3/11/1025
- “Vermont Senate Supports Protections for End-of-Life Law,” My Champlain Valley, 3/11/1025
- “Vermont Senate backs current ‘right-to-die’ law,” Portland Press Herald, 3/12/1025
A couple of nice opinion pieces:
- “Death with Dignity and Self-Determination,” Huffington Post, 3/9/1025
- “The Death With Dignity Debate Misses The Point,” Forbes, 3/11/2015
Image by Daniel Blume.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center
No related posts.