Last week (June 22 to June 28, 2015), the California Assembly Health Committee hearing on Senate Bill 128 – End of Life Option Act was rescheduled to July 7 while the bill’s sponsors seek to round up the votes.
The Economist magazine featured a themed issue, “The right to die,” with a number of articles:
- Leader: “The right to die”
- Briefing: “Final certainty”
- Polls: “Widely supported” and “Attitudes towards assisted dying”
The postponement of the Assembly Health Committee hearing on SB 128 generated a flurry of editorials urging the Assemblymembers to pass the bill.
- “Mercury News editorial: Death with dignity bill deserves full California Assembly vote,” San Jose Mercury News, 6/22/2015
- “Vote on California assisted death bill delayed,” Sacramento Bee, 6/23/2015
- “Editorial: California needs a right-to-die law,” Los Angeles Times, 6/23/2015
- “California aid-in-dying bill hits roadblock,” SF Gate / San Francisco Chronicle, 6/23/2015
- “California’s Physician-Assisted Suicide Bill Hits Snag,” KQED News, 6/24/2015
- “Terminally ill transgender El Monte man wishes he could legally end his own life,” Pasadena Star-News, 6/25/2015
- “Dying wait while Assembly waffles,” Sacramento Bee, 6/27/2015
- “San Diego’s role in Death with Dignity Act,” San Diego Union-Tribune, 6/28/2015
- “Dying with dignity should be a right,” Napa Valley Register, 6/26/2015
- “Dolores Huerta lobbies California Assembly for assisted death bill,” Sacramento Bee, 6/26/2015
- “Video: Dolores Huerta lobbies for assisted death bill,” Sacramento Bee, 6/26/2015
After Governor Hasson vetoed a bill that would establish a task force exploring end-of-life options in the state, calls re-emerged calling for Death with Dignity to be legalized.
- “A creative response to the ending of life,” Cape Cod Times, 6/23/2015
- “Our View: Laws must dignify life and death,” SeacoastOnline.com, 6/25/2015
Elsewhere and Other Stories
- Maine: “Letter to the editor: Death with dignity shouldn’t be called suicide,” Portland Press Herald, 6/22/2015
- Minnesota: “The ethical implications of physician-assisted suicide,” MPR News, 6/23/2015
- New Jersey: “Advocates for end-of-life law take their cause to the mall,” Edison/Metuchen Sentinel, 6/25/2015
- Tennessee: “John Jay Hooker a worthy advocate for death with dignity,” Tennessean, 6/28/2015
- “[I]t’s a false choice between assisted dying and palliative care – dying people are best served by both.” “A false choice: Assisted dying vs palliative care, Politics Home, 6/23/2015
Image by jun.skywalker.
View full post on Death with Dignity National Center